By Katie Delong for Fox 6 Now
MILWAUKEE (WITI) — Maintaining what has become a fall tradition at Sendik’s Food Markets, the grocer on Monday, November 24th delivered 43,000 pounds of food and $35,000 to Feeding America Easter Wisconsin.
Two delivery trucks dropped off the donated food at Feeding America’s warehouse on W. Fond du Lac Avenue on Monday afternoon.
Since 2008, Feeding America Eastern Wisconsin has been Sendik’s quarterly charity partner during the fall months. From August through October, guests made food and monetary donations to help feed the hungry through the following in-store promotions:
- Sendik’s Real Food Magazine: 100% of proceeds from sale benefited Feeding America.
- Backpack Buddies: Proceeds from Backpack Buddies provided a backpack filled with school supplies for needy children in the Milwaukee area.
- Mac & Cheese Promotion: For every box of Shurfine macaroni and cheese sold, Sendik’s donated one box to Feeding America.
- Sendik’s Food Drive: Customers purchased a $5, $10 or $20 bag of groceries to help feed hungry families.
- Keep the Change for Feeding America: Customers had the opportunity to round up their receipt total to the nearest dollar for Feeding America.
An addition to this year’s campaign was provided by Turbana, a produce partner of Sendik’s. By donating $1 for every two pineapples sold on Wednesdays during the popular 7 Days, 7 Ways to Save Sale, Turbana was able to gift $11,526.50 to the local charity, bringing Monday’s donation total to over $46,000.
“We are proud to be able to make this donation on behalf of our guests,” said Ted Balistreri, family co-owner of Sendik’s. “Their generosity makes this possible. We wish to thank all those who have contributed to helping fight hunger in our community, making the holidays a little bit brighter for those that need it most.”
“Since 2008, our partnership with Sendik’s has provided over one million meals to families struggling with hunger,” said Bonnie Bellehumeur, president of Feeding America Eastern Wisconsin. “This holiday season, we are thankful for partners like Sendik’s because they’re making a difference for families at risk of hunger.”
Link to original article here.